- The Water Safety Instructor WSI Course
- The Water Safety Instructor WSI Transfer Course
- A Water Safety Instructor Recertification
Water Safety Instructor WSI Course With your Water Safety Instructor, or WSI, you can teach the Red Cross Water Safety program. You learn strategies on how to introduce and develop fitness activities, swimming skills and water safety, and you develop great communication skills. There is a shortage of Water Safety Instructors in Canada so why not learn in order to earn. You will also have the satisfaction of knowing that the students you teach will be safer in, on and around the water. A Water Safety Instructor learns how to work with students of all ages, people with disabilities, and new Canadians. The skills you develop in your WSI course may also be very helpful in other future career paths as well. Public speaking is a skill that is relevant and beneficial. You need a few prerequisites in order to take your Water Safety Instructor course. You must be at least 15 years old and you must be able to swim (at a Swim Kids 10 level or equivalent). You must also have your Bronze Cross or Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard. The content will be delivered online, in the classroom, and in the water. There are 4 components that you must complete.
- Classroom and In-Water
- Pre-screening Component – You must be able to do the swimming strokes and skills of Swim Kids 10 or equivalent. You must also be able to demonstrate some simple water rescue skills. This can take as little as a few hours or it can take as long as six hours.
- Online WSI Component – You need to complete the online component of the course. This has been created by the Red Cross. This is done on your own time and at your convenience. This usually takes a total of 10 to 16 hours.
- Co-teach Component – You will have to complete a co-teach session with a WSI. Information on how to do this will be given out at the beginning of your WSI course. This will have to be at least 8 hours.
- Core Component – This is the classroom and in-water part of the course. This is a series of lectures, peer teach sessions, presentations, and other activities. The amount of time this takes depends on how many people are in the course, how much water space is available, and other factors. It will probably be 22 to 24 hours.
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays, July 6, 7, 13, 14, from 8:30 to 4:30 at Birds Hill Park Waterfront.
- As soon as covid restrictions in pools are eased, more classes will be added.
There are two parts to registration. First, complete the following form, and then use your Mastercard or Visa or PayPal.
If someone is a Swimming Instructor with a different recognized agency (Swim For Life Instructor, I Can Swim Instructor, YMCA Swim Instructor, Ultra Swim Instructor, or American WSI) and would like to teach the Red Cross Water Safety program, they can take a WSI Transfer course. If you would like a WSI Transfer course, we are taking a waiting list. Please contact us.
All WSIs must recertify every two years to remain qualified. New WSIs must complete three online Professional Development sessions within their first two-years (these are free and available in the Red Cross Online Portal).
If a WSI has expired, they are not certified to teach. They can re-engage by taking a WSI recertification
Complete the accompanying form to register and use the PayPal field to pay with either a Visa or MasterCard or PayPal. FORM (If these dates do not work, send me an email also and I can set something different up.)
Choose one of the following dates:
- Thursday, May 20, 2021, 8:30-12:30. Location: Birds Hill Park Waterfront.
- Thursday, May 20, 2021, 1:00-5:00. Location: Birds Hill Park Waterfront.
- Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 8:30-12:30. Location: Birds Hill Park Waterfront.
- Wednesday, May 26, 2021, 1:00-5:00. Location: Birds Hill Park Waterfront.
- Tuesday, June 1, 2021, 8:30-12:30. Location: Birds Hill Park Waterfront.
- All recertifications are subject covid restrictions.
- If you can’t find a day that works for you, please contact us and we can set up another one on a different day. Contact Us.