The format for the WSI course is:
- Pre-screening Component – Skills, which are consistent with the course prerequisites, are reviewed and evaluated. (Prerequisites: Swim Kids 10 or equivalent; and, one of Emergency First Aid, Bronze Cross, or Red Cross Assistant Lifeguard). This takes 6 to 8 hours.
- Online WSI Component – Candidates are to complete the online component of the course. This takes 15 to 20 hours.
- Co-teach Component – Candidates are to complete a co-teach session with a WSI. (Information on how to do this will be given out following the Pre-screening session). The Online and Co-teach Components may be done concurrently. This is at least 8 hours.
- Core Component – This is the classroom and pool part of the course. Candidates should have completed the Pre-screening, the Online and Co-teach Components before taking this part of the course. This is about 24 hours long.
They will be at St James Centennial Pool from 6:00-9:30pm.
- Winter Water Safety Instructor – Sundays, January 27 to March 17 (No class on February 18)
- Spring Water Safety Instructor – Sundays, April 7 to June 9 ( No classes on April 21, May 19, June 2)
WSI TRANSFER / SPLASHBACK
All WSIs must recertify every two years. If they do not, they are then in their two-year grace period and are not allowed to teach. To re-activate their WSI, they can simply take a WSI Recertification. If it has been longer than five years, contact us.
If someone is a Swimming Instructor with a different recognized agency (Swim For Life Instructor, I Can Swim Instructor, YMCA Swim Instructor, Ultra Swim Instructor, or American WSI) and would like to teach the Red Cross Water Safety program, they can take a WSI Transfer course. If you would like a WSI Transfer course, we are taking a waiting list. Please contact us.
WSI must be recertified every two years. If you have gone beyond two years, you are in your grace period. If you have been in your grace period for more than 5 years, please contact us.
Choose one of the following dates:
- Friday, November 30, 8:30-1:30,
Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR, Last minute location change.
- Tuesday, December 11, 9:00-1:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
Friday, December 21, 4:30-9:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR, Sorry, this one is full…
- Thursday, January 31, 8:30-1:00, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Thursday, February 28, 8:30-1:00, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Thursday, March 21, 8:30-1:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Wednesday, April 24, 8:30-1:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Friday, May 10, 5:00-9:30pm, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Monday, May 13, 8:30-1:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Wednesday, May 29, 8:30-1:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Thursday, June 13, 8:30-1:30, Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Thursday, June 27, 8:30-1:30, Birds Hill Park Waterfront; OR
- If you can’t find a day that works for you, please contact us and maybe we can set up another one on a different day. Contact Us.