National Lifeguard (NL or NLS)
We regularly offer National Lifeguard and National Lifeguard Recertification courses. National Lifeguard is the only nationally recognized Lifeguard designation in Canada. This course extensively covers rescue techniques through lectures, hands-on, and scenario-based learning. Also covered are pool operation and administration, programming information and background, and other related topics. This course is about 40 hours long.
The prerequisites are to be at least 16 years old; to have Standard First Aid; and, one of Bronze Cross or Distinction. It is implied that candidates will have at least a reasonable level of fitness.
- First Course: Fridays, 5:00-9:00pm, and Saturdays, 8:30-4:30, on October 4, 5, 18, 19, 25, 26, November 2, 3, 2019. Location: (tentatively) Cindy Klassen Rec Complex.
- Second Course: Fridays, 5:00-9:00pm, and Saturdays, 8:30-4:30, on November 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30, December 6, 7, 2019. Location: (tentatively) Cindy Klassen Rec Complex.
Other courses are planned for 2019. Please contact us if you need dates, or you would like to set one up.
National Lifeguard (NLS or NL) Recertification
NLS must be recertified every 2 years in order to remain current. Recertification is approximately 4 hours long. Upcoming Recertification dates:
Friday, October 11, 12:30-4:30; Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; Sorry, this one is full ; OR,
- Thursday, October 24, 12:30-4:30; Pan-Am Pool; OR,
- Friday, November 22, 12:30-4:30; Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Friday, November 29, 5:00-9:00pm; Cindy Klassen Rec Complex; OR,
- Thursday, December 19, 8:30-12:30; Pan-Am Pool; OR,
- Thursday, December 19, 12:30-4:30; Pan-Am Pool; OR,
- Friday, December 20, 12:30-4:30; Cindy Klassen Rec Complex.
If one of these don’t work, we can set up another one. Contact us.
National Lifeguard Waterfront
This course builds on the skills of NLS and is designed to develop the skills and knowledge needed for waterfront lifeguards. Effective safety supervision in a waterfront environment is different than a pool.
The next NL Waterfront course will be administered directly through the Lifesaving Society. We are taking a waiting list on their behalf. The dates are Friday-Sunday, June 12-14. This course will be held at Camp Arnes.
Prerequisites: National Lifeguard. Candidates are expected to be reasonably fit, and must have the following equipment: wetsuit, mask and snorkel, CPR mask or face shield, first aid gloves, Alert: Lifeguarding in Action manual, NL Award Guide, and Canadian Lifesaving Manual.